Chris' Linkjockey blog links to unique, fantastic sites on the web that you haven't seen before.

Thursday, March 1, 2007

How to Talk to a Climate Change Skeptic

How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic

Last week someone asked me what scares me the most. My answer was: Global Warming.

The tipping point for me was reading a Roger Ebert review of a movie, where he said, "In 39 years, I have never written these words in a movie review, but here they are: You owe it to yourself to see this film. If you do not, and you have grandchildren, you should explain to them why you decided not to."
I thought to myself, "Man, if Roger Ebert is saying, for the first time ever, that there is a MUST-SEE movie, well this is a movie that I NEED to see." So, I went to the theatre with Mrs. Linkjockey to see "An Inconvenient Truth". I bought it when it came out on DVD, and I'm lending out my copy to my friends.

If the Al Gore movie or book doesn't work, you might need to dig deeper.

If you need to dig deeper, today's website has answers to many (hundreds, even?) questions that people have about the Climate Crisis. They are broken down into different categories, for quick browsing, arguments are divided by:
Stages of Denial,
Scientific Topics,
Types of Argument, and
Levels of Sophistication.

Example arguments include the answers to:
Global warming is a hoax
Current global warming is just part of a natural cycle
What's wrong with warmer weather?
There is no proof that CO2 is causing global warming
There is no consensus

Sure, there are lots of objections that I'd never heard before (or didn't understand), but the arguments explain where those objections came from, and refute them.

As far as I can tell, Climate Change is real.

No comments: